Old April 10th 04, 11:34 PM
H Schinske

Default 18 month old Vocabulary

wrote:

What are you 18-24 month olds saying at this point? It seems like Alexis
was
saying much more then the babies are at this age.
Emma says "wow wow" for a dog, Agua for water and, sheesh for cheese anytime
she sees a camera and daddy and mommy.
Aislyn says mama and cheese and nothing more.

My son had no words at all until after 18 months, not even Mama. (My girls had
some words by that age, but not a great many -- I don't think they were way
ahead of yours.) I wouldn't worry just yet as long as you are pretty sure that
their hearing is fine. The standard I have heard is that you consider
consulting with a speech pathologist if they don't have around 50 words by
around 2 years of age. My son had about 35 words at age two, and I did
eventually have him evaluated. He was on the low side for expressive speech,
but not low enough to need therapy, and his hearing, receptive speech (what he
understood) and enunciation were all very good for his age.

--Helen