Old January 27th 04, 05:12 PM
Circe

Default Is there an equation ?

Bev Brandt wrote:
There was a thread similar to this one several years ago started by (I
believe) Barbara.

Yep, it was me! You've got a great memory, Bev!

She said that she didn't think three children were
any more difficult than two. I disagreed and said that my three were
far more difficult than before when they were just "my two." Some of
the reasons I said that had to do with ages and personalities. My
oldest will always be active, attention-grabbing and he'll always take
a lot of energy. So at the time, having a *baby* in the mix *was*
difficult.

Now, oldest is still energetic and an attention-grabber, but he has
school and soccer and homework and lots of different interests, so
he's a little easier to entertain. And youngest isn't a baby anymore
and he's a little lower maintenance. So right *now*, three takes as
much energy as probably two, or even one.

I think I got lucky. I never found three to be significantly more difficult
than two, though it helped a *lot* that my third was a very easy-going baby
and is still a pretty easy-going (albeit physically precocious) toddler. It
helps that my older kids get along at least half the time and that, during
the half when they're not, I only intervene if there is imminent danger of
someone getting badly hurt--otherwise, they have to sort it out themselves.

I'd say my multiplier was:

1 = 2x as much work as none
2 = 3x as much work as none, 1x more work than two
3 = 3.5x as much work as none, 1.5x more work than one

And that's been pretty consistent since #3 was born, but we've only been at
the three kid gig for 22 months, so I'm sure it will fluctuate.

When they're all in grade school, it'll probably be different.

What I always worry about is three kids with homework. It's hard enough
getting Son1 to do his homework. I hope Daughter and Son2 turn out to be
less resistant, or it's going to be hell around here every school evening
around 5pm! Ugh!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.