Old November 3rd 05, 07:36 PM
Sarah Vaughan

Default The solids question again!

In message GzX9f.532387$xm3.258238@attbi_s21, CY
writes
I calculated his age in weeks and it looks like he is 23 weeks. How do
they figure the "6 month" thing? Is it 24 weeks or 6 months (eg his
birthday was May 26, so he won't technically be 6 months until Nov
26th, but will be 24 weeks next week).

The WHO recommendations do actually give it as 6 months practically to
the day. However, if you read them, they're surprisingly flimsy - there
are _no_ studies showing an advantage of waiting until 6 months as
opposed to 4 months. Of course, there are physiological reasons why 6
months is likely to be better (more digestive enzymes, better head
control, no tongue thrust reflex) but I really don't think a week or two
in a baby who's already enjoying trying out solids is going to make a
scrap of difference.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished
they’d spent more time at the office?