Old July 5th 04, 01:20 AM
Karen

Default Learning to keyboard (type) - recommend software for older kids

Banty wrote in message ...
One of the summer assignments (from me) for my 11 year old son going into 7th
grade next year is that he learn to keyboard. It would help him with
assignments, now that some can be turned in typed (his handwriting is
atrocious), and he's falling into a hunt-and-peck two-finger habit when he does
type which I don't want to set in.

What is a good software program for this? Windoze98.

Thanks,
Banty

My 11 yo dd and 9 yo ds use Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, the regular
version. They both like it, especially dd. She is almost to 20 wpm
which isn't bad for a child, I think. It has your typical drill plus
games. You can change the preferences to include more games or less or
none, change the music in the background, change fonts, size, color,
target specific weaknesses, timed tests etc......

I think it is definitely worth the $20 or so it costs. I was able to
get it for $14.95 but I run a Mac and it was on closeout.

Karen