Old May 25th 07, 01:18 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default Please Look for this Little Girl and Pass on This Post (translate and cross post if Possible too)

toypup wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:03:09 GMT, Rosalie B. wrote:

toypup wrote:

While it may be true that baby sitting services might have been
available, that isn't necessarily a cure-all unless you also assume
that

a) the baby sitter herself or a cohort wouldn't be the abductor and/or
wouldn't have done something harmful to the child (after all - the
parents wouldn't have the ability to check her out) and

They didn't need to use the sitter at all. They could have had one of the
adults in their group watch the child.

People keep saying this, but I don't think it is much of an option at
all. It wouldn't be much of a vacation for that designated adult. I
wouldn't want to ask someone else to do it and I wouldn't want to do
it myself and certainly not for someone else's child.

I have not read about this incident anywhere except in this ng. I
don't even know what country the resort was in, but I think the resort
bears some responsibility here. Why were the windows so accessible.
Were they on the first floor?

b) that even if they had a sitter, that the sitter would have been
able to prevent the abduction.

An abductor would more likely take an unattended child, if one was
available. If you were a purse snactcher, would you take one you see left
unguarded on a bench or one that is sitting next to its owner? If you were
a purse snatcher but you weren't hunting for a purse and you happened to
see one laying there unattended, wouldn't you take it just because it was
there? There are lots of criminals who do crime just because the
opportunity is there.

I do not think this is a valid analogy. No one snatches a child just
because they see one unattended. (I'm thinking of the O' Henry story
"The Ransom of Red Chief"

http://fiction.eserver.org/short/ran...red_chief.html

They are either after ransom, or they have some deranged idea in mind.

Would you leave your wallet on the bench unattended because the crook could
pick-pocket you if you had it in your purse anyway? Don't you think the
chances of you losing your wallet is a lot greater when you leave it
unattended as opposed to taking it with you? If you take it with you, does
it mean you will never lose it to a thief? Of course not. It does lessen
your chances of losing it, though.

My sister and I were traveling with my niece and we did go to dinner
in the hotel after asking for someone to sit with the baby (about a
year old at the time). The person sat outside the room in the hall.
If someone had come through the window, she wouldn't have known.

Yes, but you didn't leave the baby locked in the room alone unwatched.
Why? Because it's too risky.

No we didn't leave the baby unwatched because it was too risky. It
wasn't. She wasn't walking yet, and we were on the 6th floor. We were
afraid she'd wake up and scream her head off and bother the other
guests.