Old April 21st 06, 09:42 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Sleep and older children

"bizby40" wrote in message

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
Oh, I definitely think it's natural for them to drift,
and I'd be thrilled if they started the school day later for
them. However, until and unless that happens, the reality of
their lives is that they have to be up and functional at an
obscenely early hour of the morning. Encouraging their
schedule to drift substantially later just makes it more
difficult.

In my experience it only takes a day or two to readjust. They might be
tired the first day of school, but they're also excited and running on
adrenaline. Then they crash that night. After that, they're fine.

So I don't see the point in waking them up early all summer long just to
avoid one or two days of adjustment.

Actually I always needed a few days of major lie-ins at the start of the
holidays. Like 12ish. Then on the whole late rising (10ish) on the days I
could. I never had a problem with the readjusting, even if I had always
risen late during the holidays. If I didn't have the time to do those
lie-ins then I would struggle through the next term health wise.
Also my term time schedule for rising was 7:30-7:45 Monday to Friday, about
10-12 Saturday depending on how tired I was, then about 8:00 (for tennis) on
Sunday. Again, I needed to have that lie in regularly, but when I knew I had
to rise, it wasn't a problem.
Debbie

I understand that you are not the type who likes to sleep in, and so you
don't want them to either. That's fine -- it's your decision. I just
don't buy the argument that it's better for them in any real way --
particularly not for the purposes of keeping to a school schedule.

Bizby