Old May 25th 04, 01:01 PM
Banty

Default Would volunteering be a conflict?

In article , beeswing says...

x-no-archive: yes

There's a private school locally that I wouldn't mind supporting, and they've
listed that they need volunteers, including committee members for a committee
I'd be interested in. I wouldn't mind volunteering the time, but it is true
that we're likely to want to apply to the school next year and the school has
more applicants than it does openings. Would it be perceived as a conflict of
interest (or a faux pas, even) on my part to volunteer for the committee? I
wouldn't want to do it if they would see it as me as solely trying to tip the
scales in favor of my daughter. (On the other hand, it wouldn't break my heart
if it *did* tip the scales, I have to admit...but that wouldn't be my primary
motivation.) Any thoughts?

Given the timing of your starting to volunteer there, it would certainly appear
as if you wanted to increase your child's acceptance. And that sort of thing is
pretty common for volunteer organizations.

If I were you, I would just wait a year to start volunteering. Then there is no
appearance of only wanting to curry favor with the school. There is usually no
shortage of need for volunteers.

Banty