Old November 10th 07, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

Does anyone know of any good articles/studies on how well IQ scores in
childhood correlate with success in adulthood, given all the inherent
inaccuracies of the tests? I realise this is a pretty broad topic, but
I know there are some well-informed people here, and the subject has
come up for discussion on someone's blog so I'm interested in finding
out more.

I'd understood that the correlation was no where near what might be
hoped for, though of course there is the argument that had the high IQ
score been recognised and the child been nurtured correctly then this
wouldn't occur. I'm not sure how well the eleven plus was thought to
correlate with IQ, but it looks like failing that wasn't a barrier to
success for numerous people.

I was recognised as having a high IQ, I was given all the
opportunitites, but officially I'm a failure, I'm a statistic no one
wants to have - but, I chose this outcome, I decided I'd rather be a
mother than fight my way in academia and my husband supported me in
that. I AM A SUCCESS, just not statistically - not all gifted and
talented people want all these things that are defined as success - and
people give us a hard time for it, if you go to an ivy league school,
the message you are given is it's a waste for you to become a teacher
and motherhood his something you consider after you've established your
career. Success is acheiving what you want to acheive.

Sarah - I think you'd struggle to find data that gave a strong
correlation, I suspect there is a weak one, similar to what you get for
number of years education completed against income, but I do question
whether any of the measurements of success have any real value.

Anne