Old December 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default How to start an in-home preschool

wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:53 pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
wrote:
Just to clarify, I would be working with children between the ages of
3 - 5 1/2. It would be a half day preschool program in the mornings.
Three days a week would be for the 4 and early 5 year olds. Two days
a week would be for the 3 and early 4 year olds.
I have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, I have a Pre-
K certificate/licensure and 11 years experience working in preschools/
day care centers. I have never had a preschool in my home, so I am
trying to gather information on how to get started. If anyone knows
of some websites that would be helpful/informative it would be greatly
appreciated!!! I am not a computer person, but my husband and two
teenage sons swear by the internet.

What you have got to find is your state's licensure
rules. You can usually find those on the 'net, but it depends
on the state. There really isn't any substitute for that
information.
You also need to do your *LOCAL* market research.
What's demand like compared to supply? What are families
expecting in your area? Will you be able to sell a 3-day
program for 4s/5s? Many families expect 4-5 day programs
at that age. In fact, you might find that there is a shortage
of 4-5 day programs for 4s/5s and that you would do much
better to offer that instead of both a 2-day 3's program and
a 3 day 4s/5s program. (Frankly, I think 2-day programs are
very difficult and wouldn't want to deal with it myself.)
What sort of curriculum do you want, and is it consistent
with what the families in your market want? What can you
offer that makes your preschool uniquely attractive? Or
is supply so short in your area that all you have to do
is look credible, gain licensure, and hang out a shingle?
You have to plug into your local preschool scene
to really make sound business decisions. There are often
state or regional organizations that will help people like
you set up a daycare or preschool, especially if there's
a shortage of daycares and preschools.

I live in Ohio. How do I do "Local" market research? How do I find
state and regional organizations that would help me get started and
make sound decisions?

Search online for "Ohio" and "daycare license" or
similar terms. Ask around at local preschools for information
on local events where preschool directors get together. Look
for local continuing education opportunities in early childhood
education--you'll find lots of folks with information there, and
they can help you hook up with the relevant agencies. Conferences
will often have workshops on how to start up a preschool and so
forth. Your state government will have an agency responsible
for licensure. Once you find out what it is, contact them and
they can probably put you in contact with other resources. Someone
probably maintains a list of local preschools. See if you can find that.
It's not that doing the legwork is easy--it does take
some work, and the problem is that agencies and such have
different names and work differently in different states, so
it's hard to give very specific information. Once you find
*something* and start reeling in the thread, though, you'll
likely find a whole lot more.

Best wishes,
Ericka