Old November 28th 06, 12:28 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Beth Kevles

Default fidgety kids

Hi --

We solved the problem of excess-fidgets for our son by removing milk
from his diet. It turned out he had an allergy to it (and to a couple
of other things). I'm not suggesting that your son has a milk allergy!
But fidgets to his particular degree sound as though they may have a
physical basis, possibly neurological, possibly other.

So ... I'd try several things. First, make sure he gets TONS of
exercise! Maybe go running in the morning before school? Take up
a martial art and practice daily? Whatever it takes to burn off some of
that excess energy.

Second, start tracking your son's diet. Try removing artificial colors
and flavors and maybe some common allergens (milk protein, egg, wheat)
to see if he becomes better able to sit still. It may take a couple of
weeks of dietary elimination to see results, but your son may, in fact,
be interested in trying it himself if you present things appropriately.

If that doesn't work, see a doctor. Even if you decide not to take up a
treatment plan, having a diagnosis (if there IS a diagnosis) will make
teachers more tolerant of his fidgety behavior. "Oh, he's got XXX, it
makes him fidget."

In the meantime, keep working with your son to keep his behavior under
control, at least enough so that it doesn't distract other students.

I hope this helps! Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.