Old January 1st 04, 12:06 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default How long for alcohol to leave BM?

*Hunee* wrote:
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

Ridiculous
There's no need at all to pump and dump, nor to give a bottle.
If you are too drunk to drive (here anyhow) your BA level is 0.08% which
will be the alcohol level of your breastmilk.
For comparison, gripe water with alcohol is 3% alcohol.
Alcohol stays in your breast milk as long as it stays in your blood.
Breast fed babies whose mothers have consumed alcohol may nurse more
frequently but for shorter periods of time.

Dawn