Old January 26th 04, 07:22 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

In ,
Shannon wrote:

*Some examples of snacks suggested to us we
*Canteloupe cubes - VERY popular, and very nutritionally dense

She likes those a lot, but it's something she's already got in heavy
rotation and I'm thinking I need to up the calorie content of her diet,
which is already nutrient dense

*Cheese - DS esp. loves goat cheese

She eats a lot of cream cheese and loves that. I will have to try some
good full fat goat cheese if I can find it.

*Berries - raspberries, blueberries, etc.

She loves these too. Of course her favorites are strawberries - just way
too filling for too few calories, I think. I put cream cheese on them to
help in that regard.

*Sweet potato - baked, then either cubed or mashed

Not a favorite of hers but she will sometimes eat them.

*Squash - steamed

Eats this in bean stews all the time.

*Tofu

Not a favorite of hers although she did eat a bit out of our pad thai the
other night

*Cottage Cheese

She loves that! I have to buy more. Thanks for reminding me.

*Yogurt - esp. Yo Baby by Stonyfield Farms

Not a favorite.

*Turkey hot dogs or sometimes Tofu pups

She's eh on those.

*Pasta (rotini, esp.) with butter or olive oil

A constant favorite. I also put cheese sauce on it sometimes.

*Naan (indian bread, often stuffed with potatoes and peas)

She loves breads - often with cream cheese or peanut butter

*Bananas

Yep. Any fruit, really.

*Cereals like Cheerios or Kix

Yep.

*Is there anything medical that could be causing the drop in percentile?

Not as far as we know, but of course that's why I am supposed to up her
caloric intake and reweigh her. I assume (I know, I know) that if her
weight does not jump up despite a documented increase in caloric intake,
we'll be doing more diagnostics.

*Does she *look* healthy, just thin? I tend to put much more stock in how
*kids look than what the numbers say, but that's just me.

Looks darn healthy to me, but I have seen plenty of healthy-looking
animals with weird failure-to-thrive stuff happen during the first year,
so I don't want to write it off without looking into it.