Old November 28th 06, 12:29 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
beachpeach

Default fidgety kids

Chris wrote:
Just had our parent teacher conference for our 6th grade son. The
story is pretty much the same as every year--bright kid but he can't
sit still in class. Of course each year teachers are less tolerant of
his fidgeting, twirling the eraser, pencil tapping, etc. But, like
each year, the teachers seem unable to come up with any concrete
strategies for dealing with the issue. The kid is bored, everyone
agrees, but the level of fidgetiness seems beyond that which can be
explained by boredom alone. He doesn't sit still often--he eats
standing up most meals, he plays video games jumping up and down, etc.
So, the question becomes what to do in school? Has anyone dealt
successfully with this problem?

Chris

Have you discussed this issue with his physician? Have you sought
counseling? School counselor? I'd first talk to pediatrician and see
if there might be some medical reason. If there are none, I'd seek
counseling to see if there are any mental health issues that need
addressing. I'd also think about taking my child to a
naturopath/homeopath to see if there are any natural remedies that
might help. There's also the possibility that it will go away as he
gets older...or au contraire, it might escalate. Is he in sports?
Music? Does he have appropriate outlets for what sounds like nervous
energy? Is his life balanced? It could be as simply as few sessions
and lessons in behavior modification or it could be something more
complicated.

Good luck!