Old July 3rd 03, 11:44 AM
Rosalie B.

Default Graduation

x-no-archive:yes David desJardins wrote:

Kevin Karplus writes:
There is very little public recognition given to students who do well
academically (unlike sports stars or cheerleaders). Why take away the
very small recognition they do get (in this case getting their degrees
a minute or two earlier)?

There is very little public recognition given to children who are taller
than their peers. Should we give them prizes based on their height?

No they get basketball scholarships. (Or bugged to play basketball)

There are lots of things that aren't recognized in school and the
things that are recognized (perfect attendance) may not be worthwhile.

My kids did things OUT of school that weren't recognized and I doubt
if they should have been. They were recognized in their own venues.
One daughter was a high point winner at Preliminary level (one star
international event) for her region and she got a trophy for that -
why should she get extra HS recognition as well? Her reward was in
competing well.

One daughter graduated 3rd in the class and got an appointment to the
USAFA (Air Force Academy). It wasn't even mentioned at the ceremony.
[When she went to apply for admission to the Naval Academy (her first
choice) the person in the guidance office (not the counselor BTW -
just a facilitator) asked if it was a 4 year school. They'd never
heard of it. This is somewhat surprising since we live in Maryland in
the same state as the Naval Academy.]

grandma Rosalie