Old July 13th 03, 02:59 PM

Default Graduation

"Kevin Karplus" wrote in message
In article , Mary Ann wrote:

SNIP
High grades does not equal working harder. No one works harder than my
daughter and she will never be a consistent A student. My son does

nothing
at all and gets As. I would rather see her honored for her effort.

Then you should so honor her.

There is very little public recognition given to students who do well
academically (unlike sports stars or cheerleaders). Why take away the
very small recognition they do get (in this case getting their degrees
a minute or two earlier)?

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

NOT TRUE, look at all the scholarships good grades can get you! speaking
from experience, I worked very hard in college, I was also working full time
and a mother to 5 and 7 yo kids, with NO help from my then husband. I got
decent grades, but not A's, therefore, scholarships for me were few and far
between, even though I was struggling to do well.
not to mention my present husband, who did hardly any work (as did the prev.
poster's daughter) and yet they get great grades... just doesn't seem fair
to me...
Edith
nak