Old December 14th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

Default Organic milk / hormone free milk

On Dec 13, 8:53�am, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 12, 5:09 pm, enigma wrote:

snip

�why just milk? organically grown produce is widely available
& priced on par with imported, treated with who-knows-what-
chemicals-banned-in-the-US produce.
�and if you aren't vegetarian, your meat is a hell of a lot
worse as far as hormones & antibiotics than your milk is! not
to mention the saline & chemicals injected into it to keep it
"shelf-stable" for a month...
lee

With all these alleged problems, life expectancy in the U.S. is now
about 78http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htmand has been
rising over the years . I have never seen a convincing study showing
that organic food is healthier. I think the organic food movement
fulfills needs that are mostly psychological.

On the subject of milk, I place no value on the "organic" label, but I
do wonder when my kids should start drinking skim (fat-free) milk like
their parents, rather than whole milk. Right now the two boys (2 and
4yo) are a bit skinny, so we are continuing with whole milk.

If they are getting adequate fat intake elsewhere, the minor
difference in milk levels can be tweaked accordingly. You need to find
out how much fat is recommended in kids at certain ages and then see
how they are doing without consumption of milk to gauge it. My 2-year-
old is 40 pounds and is on 1% milk. His pediatrician evaluated his
individual situation, which is one varied in diet and a nonpicky
eater, and decided that the extra found in the milk was not a
necessity for him. It is like iron-fortified formula....not all
infants are at risk of not getting enough iron, but it is recommended
for all to be on the safe side to avoid issues for everyone. My dad is
a dairy farmer and he explained the minor difference in fat content
between the milks, so I felt comfortable with it. You can look up
contents on various milks online and see that the vitamin/nutrient
contents varies very little. In fact, I think it was 2% milk that had
more vitamin A or something than whole vitamin D milk, but the other
nutrients were still the same too.