Old April 11th 07, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Default Bf toddler and birth control

On Apr 10, 9:58 pm, "Bryna" wrote:
Has anyone had experience with taking a
combination pill while bf a toddler? Will it dry up my milk at this
stage in the game?

I don't have experience BFing a toddler while on a combination pill,
but I can tell you a combo pill all but eliminated my supply when
BFing a newborn.

I was on a very low-dose combination pill. I can't recall the name,
but it started with an "M," and it was not a triphasic pill. Anyway,
it affected my milk supply so drastically with DD that she went from
being 95th percentile for weight all the way down to 35th. I couldn't
pump a drop, and she always seemed hungry. On the positive side, once
I quit the pill, my supply did come back (with the help of supplements
and oatmeal) and she was back up to 95th within a couple of months.

I know there's a difference between my situation with a newborn and
yours with a toddler, but I would be very wary of introducing the
extra hormones unless and until I was prepared to wean. On the other
hand, if you tried it and it did diminish your supply, the "damage"
would probably not be irreversible.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04