Old May 4th 04, 08:54 PM
John Doe

Default Have you tried an electric toothbrush?

"Nic" wrote
"John Doe" wrote in message

Me thinks some people are feeling a little guilty for not taking good
care of their kids dental health. And you should IMO, unless perhaps
you live in Siberia/China and your economy isn't good enough to
readily provide such things. Here in the United States, electric
toothbrushes cost little as $5 (five US dollars). The rechargeable
batteries cost extra but will save money and trips to the store in a
short while.

Here thou (where I live) electric toothbrushes aren't as cheap as $5.
The normal price range is from $50 (being the cheapest and they go
upwards to $130 something. So working out you need to spend at least
$50 to start of with, to start brushing, not including tooth heads,
That means buying normal toothbrushes at the cost little of $1 you
could buy 50 ( or more on specail) which would last at least 10 years
working out that you replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months as it
is good hygenine to do so.

Or you can use your finger, for free.

In fact, I did not buy an electic toothbrush until late 2000 when here
in the United States the cheaper models began to appear. Shortly after
that time, Braun/Oral-B felt the crunch and slashed the price on their
low end model. Competition from other companies has radically reduced
the price of electric toothbrushes here.

I would assume that electical toothbrush heads would need to be
replaced about the same legnth of time and at $ 30 dollars or more for
a pack of 4 makes it expensive option to use.

Here, the store shelves which contain toothbrushes are also full of
Crest, Colgate, budget Oral-B, and other electric toothbrushes. They
sell for about $5 USD. The replacement heads cost about $2.50 USD each.
They last for at least one month.

Without a doubt, there is a huge positive difference using an
electric toothbrush.

The one caveate, especially with kids, is that if they have more
fun with it and use it longer it may help.

I would caution against using an electric toothbrush for a long time.
Like any polisher/cleaner, manual or electric, a brush wears on
things. An electric toothbrush can and will accomplish more of that
abraisive action in a fraction of the time. You can accomplish the
same amount of cleaning in much less time, long as you reach the same
areas. Since you hold the brush head still, applying it to one point
is very easy. So you not only have the pulsing action, you can
concentrate the action in the exact right area (like in the back of
your mouth). But again, not good to do so for a long time, IMO.

hang on... your saying use caution ? why ? If it is that much better
as you claim, then why do you need to use caution ?

Unless you are simply trolling, apparently you do not understand the
big difference between manual and power tools. A power tool will do more
in much less time. Skillfully used, it does a much better job too.
Misused, it can hurt stuff.

As I already explained, you need to use caution because a brush wears on
things. Rubbing/scratching is how a brush attempts to remove the thick
filth which currently clings to your teeth.

Softer bristles probably are a good idea, especially at first.

Mine has very soft bristles, so I can use it for quite a while. Over
the years, it has even removed plaque. My teeth have never been
cleaner (I also floss regularly).
But seriously. If you haven't tried one, and you can buy one easily,
go for it. Your kids will be much better off for your
good/experienced advice.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

The difference is your innexperienced opinion and hearsay goes against
the multitude of experienced user comments on Usenet every reader can
see.

If you cannot afford one, that is too bad. But those who can afford one
should try an electric toothbrush. Right now, here in the United States,
electric toothbrushes are affordable especially considering the
benefit of using one.

Nic

From: "Nic"
Newsgroups: misc.kids.health