Old January 23rd 04, 02:00 AM
Lara

Default How long for alcohol to leave BM?

Liz S. Reynolds wrote:

In article ,
Lara wrote:
Liz S. Reynolds wrote:

Some breastfeeding book (can't remember which one) mentioned a woman who
drank so heavily her milk wouldn't freeze - gack!

Alcohol is fatal at a blood alcohol level one-tenth that of
full-strength beer (0.5).

I'm finding this story very, very difficult to believe.

LD50 is 0.4% and 0.3% is pretty darn dangerous.

I was going for "just about universally fatal, even for alcoholics",
rather than the naive-user LD50, but sure.

We'd need to know how much alcohol is required to prevent freezing -
probably not all that much since the natural sugar has already lowered the
freezing temperature.

Beer is pretty sugary, and ten times that alcohol level; it freezes just
fine in my freezer. Not exactly a datapoint, but there it is.

Hm - cows milk formula has roughly the same sugar/protein/fat levels as
breastmilk (not the same proteins/fats, but the same sugar) - I wonder
if I can feel an experiment coming on?

Lara