Old October 20th 03, 10:37 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default pain ten weeks after c-section

"Alicia" wrote in message
news:ExVkb.134692$6C4.124061@pd7tw1no...
Hello Everyone, just thought I'd share what I'm going through and see if
there are any other women who have had the same experience.

As a male, I've never had a C-section, but I have had major abdominal
surgery (a splenectomy). I was hospitalized for a week after the
splectomy with no food (IV drips and a nasogastral tube to keep my
stomach empty). I was pretty much confined to bed for another week
after that and it took me a couple of months to get my strength back.
I had some very minor complications from the surgery---allergy to the
glue they used on the bandages (treated with antihistamines) and a bit
of minor infection just under the skin.

At 10 or 12 weeks I was back on my bike and pretty much back to normal
(well---it took another month to get back in shape after the months
without significant exercise). My abdomen was sore for months as the
connective tissue grew back together and regained structural
integrity, but there was no real pain after the first 2 or 3 weeks.

Serious pain 10 weeks after surgery seems like a danger signal to
me---you should definitely talk with the surgeon. You do not want to
have an untreated infection or scars forming in the wrong places.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz