Old July 11th 06, 01:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default We have reached 1 year!

Anne Rogers wrote:
Congratulations Jeni! (and William too!)

Thanks Anne.

Just wondering what are the plans for milk transitioning at nursery? I
always mention this because I feel worse if people turn round in a years
time and say I didn't know. Basically the advice I was given by just about
everyone, dentist health visitor, speech therapist, etc. is to stop bottles
at 12 months, 2 reasons for this, 1 is that the way it puts the liquid into
the mouth makes it pool and is more liable to cause tooth decay and the
other and more concerning one is to do with speech development, I don't
fully understand the link, but there is something about development of the
palate and forming words, not being helped by using bottles. Anyway, I'm
sure the nursery staff will have ideas as they must do it with loads of
children, some people switch to cows milk then ditch the bottles, others do
it the opposite way round.

Thanks for this. I was going to post on the very same thing when I
remembered. At present we have discovered he will sip cows milk the
same way as he sips water, but so far won't have it as a replacement
for his bottle. We did try it briefly at the weekend but we didn't know
till the evening how bad he was feeling so realise now it was a bad
time to try. The problem is that he still has between 4 and 8 oz twice
a day so getting through a sippy cup of that much would take forever
and he'd get very frustrated.

I'm not sure what the answer is, only that I agree it would be better
to ditch the bottles. Any ideas on how to do (this bearing in mind the
nursery have limited time and people to take it too slow) would be very
welcome. In the meantime we will have another go at the bottle so at
least he is on the way to transitioning from formula.

Jeni