Old May 27th 04, 11:39 AM
Daye

Default Is Mental Illness Genetic???

On Wed, 26 May 2004 17:03:23 +0800, "Kelly Hassett"
wrote:

Just wanting to know If mental illness is genetic? The father of my unborn
baby, i have just found out he has severe mental problems. I dont know
exactly what his condition is but it is very likely to be like multiple
personalities. Can this be passed on to my baby?

Some are. My paternal grandmother had schizophrenia (she has passed
now), and that can be passed down. I had genetic counseling for
spinal bifida, and I asked about my grandmother. I was told so long
as I don't have it, the chances my child would get it lessens
significantly. My dad doesn't have it, and I don't have it. So the
risk to my children is small.

I have no idea about MPD. I would get genetic counseling. They would
be able to give you a better answer.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold