Old July 12th 03, 06:10 PM
dragonlady

Default "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

"Kara H" wrote in message

"toto" wrote:

I think this is a scam to harvest email addies. I gave it a spam trap
addy and will be interested to see what happens.

It might be. But I'm not so sure.

I saw no reference to breastfeeding in the article about 20 rules you
can break either.

There definitely was a reference to breastfeeding- see below:

"don't breast-feed your child?

most likely: "In the long run, nothing," says Boris Petrikovsky, chairman

of
the department of obstetrics-gynecology at Nassau University Medical

Center,
in East Meadow, New York. When you're bottle-feeding, you know exactly how
much food the baby is eating, and Mom may be less tired because Dad has no
excuse to sleep through 3 a.m. feedings. "There is also absolutely no
conclusive data on breast milk's effects on brain development," adds
Petrikovsky.

worst case: "The biggest downside of not breast-feeding is that the mother
misses out on some of the bonding," says Petrikovsky. And since breast

milk
is specially designed to meet the nutritional needs of infants and

contains
antibodies that help protect them from a variety of illnesses, "babies who
are breast-fed are more likely to have a stronger immune system and be

sick
less than formula-fed infants.""

I have to say that this is a load of sh*t and I can't believe that anyone
would even think of calling breastfeeding a "time waster". IMHO, it saves
time! No bottle prep time, you can feed the child ANYWHERE and not have to
wait for a place to warm the formula, etc. I'm glad that they included

the
last statement. But I think that if they absolutely had to use this, they
could have AT LEAST worded it in a different way to make BF'ing mothers

not
feel like what they are doing is unimportant. I think "some of the

bonding"
is an understatement as BF is a *huge* bonding oportunity.

-Kara
(who hasn't even BF a child yet but is still a little peeved by this!)

Besides, if you really want your husband to get up and feed the baby at
night, you can always pump and let him give a bottle

Or even just have him get up and bring the baby to you in bed. Since DH
can get up and do things and fall back asleep easily, but I cannot fall
back asleep if I've gotten vertical, he routinely brought babies to me
to nurse, then returned them to bed -- I barely woke up, we both got
plenty of sleep.

meh