Old August 24th 07, 12:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Default Sad about the way weaning is happening

I always have trouble weaning. I'm trying to do things differently this
time. I recently weaned from our morning feed and it is the only one that
went painlessly. I say 'finish up' - sing them a song - unlatch them -
and then PARTY. I clap and laugh and call them big boys. They look like
they want to cry but then have fun instead.

Good idea... I REALLY want it to end on a happy note. I know I'll be sad
when she has her last feed, but I'd like the memories to be happy ones. I
always wanted weaning to be so gentle we didn't notice it, and for the most
part, it has been. I don't want her to feel like she's too old to
breastfeed, if she still has the need.. it's all good by me. I've been sick
lately so I guess I'm a bit irritable and oversensitive and it doesn't help.

When it was real short I just
re-arranged the morning so I gave them a snack cup instead of sitting with
them and then later in the morning I sit on the floor and let them be on
my lap. Mine are only 16mos so not sure a similar approach would work for
a big 3yo. Just some ideas. I know what you mean about feeling
disappointed that the end isn't more sweet and less bitter. Hang in
there.

Thanks Nikki I can't believe your boys are 16 months already! Your lot
must keep you busy.
Amy