Old August 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Default Sad about the way weaning is happening

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks for the advice I'd heard they can forget how to latch, but she
hasn't missed days which is what puzzles me.

Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the palate change shape over time,
breastfeeding helps it develop to the correct shape (as well as getting
the correct muscles working), but ultimately it becomes too shallow to
latch well to breastfeed, so it's not so much the child forgetting, but
growing out of the ability to do it. There is a book called something like
"how weaning happens", it may be a LLL book, anyway, from what I've heard
it is pointed at child led, or at least compromise, rather than this is
how to get your baby off the breast at precisely age one!

While that sounds kinda logical, why then does Katherine Dettwyler put the
natural age of human weaning somewhere between 2.5 and 7? That's such a huge
variation.. it seems odd that 6-7 year olds could have the right shaped
mouth and my three-year-old doesn't. Hmm, perhaps this is just an extension
of her playing with her food :-p
Thanks Anne, I'll look into it.

Amy