Old August 25th 07, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

Default Sad about the way weaning is happening

well some children may wean for other reasons, but I don't think the range
is that implausible, I mean some newborn babies have genuine problems with
breastfeeding due to the shape and muscle tone of their mouths -
thankfully they can usually be helped by an occupational therapist with
relevant experience and training. Every mother/child pair is different,
each mother is going to vary at what point the latch causes discomfort and
when the stimulation changes to the point of very little milk being
produced and each child is going to vary on how much milk is worth it and
so on, so many permutations that will give a wide variation in age.

Good points, Anne. Nursing past one or two is something that's rarely
discussed because so few people in the western world do it, so I really
didn't know what to expect. I weaned at three and my mother has never
mentioned any specific latch problems, but then my younger brother and I
weaned at about the same time during a stressful time when her father died.
I thought somehow that once we were past the first year, it would be this
smooth linear process until she weaned. I guess you learn something new
every day. It's comforting to know that breastfeeding has helped her mouth &
jaw development to the point where the breastfeeding itself is not working.
I have no doubt that it's made a difference, her speech is fantastic

Amy