Old October 21st 04, 05:31 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message
outparenting.com,
emilymr writes
I've managed to avoid most of the trials of pregnancy so far, but just this
week my hands and feet have started to swell up. My hands really hurt,
esp. at night, and I can't see the bones on my feet anymore. :P My
midwife told me 2 weeks ago that a little swelling is fine (something
about it indicating good fluid levels?? can't remember) -- but I feel like
I have sausages instead of hands and feet now! Is there anything I can do
about it, and is it bad? I've got another apt. on Tuesday so I'll ask
then, but I thought I'd ask you all in the meantime.

I've found pelvic rocks can be helpful for foot swelling. You get down
on all fours, arch your back up so your pelvis is tucked in, arch your
back down so your pelvis is sticking out, repeat - described as like
wagging a tail up and down instead of side-to-side. The idea is that it
gets your uterus forwards and relieves the pressure on the tops of your
legs. The book I read recommended 3 sets of 40 at intervals during the
day, and 80 before going to bed. I never manage that many, but I've
found that the ones I do really do seem to help.

This isn't much help for the hand swelling, of course. Try the
suggestions other people have mentioned and keep trying to massage them,
as well - might get some of the fluid off. Hope this helps!

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley