Old January 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default What has hapenned to this group?

Scratch a no-spank and there is a good chance of finding either a hurt
child or a childless idealist dazzled with a utopian dream. They often
have a heavily alternative mindset. Many are aging antiestablishment
flower children. Others have acquired some higher education and think
themselves in the mold of some latter day Lord Byron with his
condescending view of the common man.

In many ways no-spanks are snake oil peddlers. Mankind is infected
with the disease of spanking for they have the cure - for a price. The
new bottle of elixir is a course, a book, a counselor, or a degree.
Implied promises abound. Like mythical Lake Woebegone, all children
will be above average. Wars will cease. Crime will disappear. Of
course, ask for a written guarantee for these hollow promises and
no-spanks will rapidly back peddle as they hurl invectives.

Jeremy James wrote:
That's a good analogy. The 'no spank radicals' on this group remind me of
the old saying "My mind is made up so don't confuse me with the facts".
They are so determined to be right that anyone that dares to have a
different opinion infuriates them. Yes, I choose spanking as a form of
disclipline for my children as a lot of parents do. That is my decision to
make, not the government's and certainly not anyone else's either. If
another parent chooses NOT to use spanking as a form of disclipline, that is
their decision to make. I would never question another parent's decision
not to use it, and no one has any place questioning my decisions. If the
parents of my children's friends have choosen to allow me to spank their
child while that child is at my house, then again that is those individuals'
decision to make and no one elses. So once again...I am NOTopposed to
another parent's decision to not use spanking, what I have an issue with is
people trying to tell me how to raise my children. Yes, this is a news
group and you have a right to state your opinion. Debating an issue means
to view it from all angles, not attacking the other person.

"Opinions" wrote in message
ups.com...
Deep inside, older no-spanks are usually very wrath-filled people.
Often they were mistreated as children and never got over it. Anytime
they are confronted with a parent who does not agree with their
extremist point of view, painful memories emerge from their childhood.
The angry child within lashes out at the new proxy parent in their
life. Much like antisocial children, no-spanks take great delight in
antagonizing parents who do not cater to their whim. Whether in person
or in a newsgroup, trying to communicate to a no-spank is much like
trying to talk to a grizzly that feels cornered.

Jeremy James wrote:
Fellow parents:

What has happenned to this newsgroup? It used to consist primarily of
parenets like myself, parents that know that when spanking is used as a
loving discliplinary tool, it is very effective. Parents that wanted to
be
able to discuss this with other parents that felt the same way. Recently
however it seems to consist more of people that simply want to argue with
each other. I.E. people like Kane and LaVonne. These two people have
somehow managed to convince themselves that they are enlightened in some
way, or that they are intellectually superior to the other members here,
or
some other thing. They are neither of course. When I first joined this
group I tried to debate with them, however they do not debate, they
dictate.
Debating means that you are willing to listen to ther other person's
opinion, however they are totally obtuse. They are so convinced that
their
own opinion is right that your opinion must be wrong. If you disagree
with
them you must be a horrible person and you are abusive toward your
children.
When they run out of logical arguments, they resort to insults. In their
world if you spank your children it means that you are an ingorant
redneck,
and probably a pedophile with latent homesexual tendencies as well. Kane
has even implied that I spank my children because I get sexually aroused
when I do so. I have an 8year old and a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year
old son. I use spanking for all three of them because it works. And
this
drives them crazy because I refuse to convert over to their narrow point
of
view. From their viewpoint, if I am spanking my children I must have
some
alterior motive, they cannot accept the fact that there are times when
spanking is the best way to handle the situation. And that I spank my
children because I love them and because IT WORKS!

I have stopped reading anything by either of them and I refuse to reply
anything they say. I am sure they will have something to say about this
post but I will not read or respond to it. Not because I am admitting
that
they must be right or because I can't think of anything to say, I simply
refuse to discuss anything with either of them because they refuse to
listen. I encourage others to follow suit.

Jeremy J