Old October 11th 03, 01:04 PM
just me

Default parenting in the land of dessert

"David desJardins" wrote in message
Can I ask why you want him to eat everything on his plate? Overeating
is a huge problem in America, and I personally think that a big part of
that is people allowing their food consumption to be dictated by how
much they are served, rather than by how much their body needs. I think
it's great if people learn to stop eating when they have had enough,
rather than being controlled by external forces.

We recognize the over eating problem in the world. We have also recognized
in our Dear Son a preference to eat only certain foods, not necessarily what
is served. This has been reflected in requesting dessert directly after
stating he was "too full" to eat the majority of his main meal. My
consistent response is that if he is too full to eat his main meal he is too
full for dessert or even an evening snack. So, he can have a snack or
dessert only if he eats his main meal and coincidentally is still hungry.
It is amazing how often that he then eats his main meal [and may or may not
request the dessert afterwards]. It is also interesting that there are
times when he looks at me, looks at the plate and says that he is still too
full to eat any more. We have learned what he is usually able to eat and
don't serve more than that. Seconds are available sometimes, depending on
what the cook did. But this business of eating only sweets and avoiding the
main meal is not ok, and that is what we are addressing.

-Aula