Old April 10th 04, 04:06 AM
Tina

Default Q?: Protein in = Protein out?

chris wrote in message ...
Hi all!

We just had our 6 month check up. Everything is going
well, DS is developing normally in every way except
weight. He currently weighs 13lbs 5oz which is just
below the curve on the groth charts. The doc isn't
frantic, she acknoledges the progress he's making in
every other arena, but she would still like to see him
put on some weight. 2 pounds in 6 weeks.

I have to say, unless he was born weighing 10 or 11 pounds, or has
gained and then lost weight, I'm actually stunned that your doc thinks
he should gain that much more weight. I was dealing with weight
issues with both of my daughters for so long, and still am with one,
and even though boys and girls grow differently, neither of my girls
weighed 13 pounds until after their first birthday.

To accomplish this, she suggested an increase in protein
intake through nursing (even) more and introducing yogurt.
She asked how I felt about formula and after making the
yucky face, dropped it quickly (which I have been *very*
pleased with.) She concentrated on the nursing, making
sure I use both breasts at each feeding and yogurt every
day.

Both breasts at each feeding sounds good, if he's interested for that
long, but he may be due for a growth spurt soon anyway, so the point
will be moot, and he'll be insisting on both breasts, all the time!
I'd definitely make sure that the doc/nurse is checking his height
(length) at each visit, too. If he's growing longer very quickly, or
at least growing longer at all, that's a good sign that he's fine -- a
*lot* of kids have a drop in weight curve that is natural (for them),
not so many have a drop in height curve. In my kids, for example, one
maintained her height curve, one didn't -- the one who didn't had some
additional health problems that we uncovered. She also didn't drop
off the charts until over 1 year, she just hovered around the bottom.

So, for those of you who are still with me

Is is possible to increase the protein in my BM? If I
eat more proteins, will I produce more? (Breast milk, that
is Any other suggestions on how to beef up this kid?
I had joked about feeling him some lead pellets before his
next weigh in, which is about the only thing I can figure
at this point. Any thoughts on the yogurt thing? We
had been holding off all dairy until after 1 year. Now,
I'm not so sure (thinking cheese, which she said we could
offer in a little while, is a nice protein and fat source)

I don't know about increasing the protein, but I do think you can
increase the fat. I think they've measured that different diets can
change the fat content in breastmilk. If you were holding off on milk
because of a family history of allergies, I'd continue to wait. In my
younger daughter's case, she had developed a sensitivity to dairy
through my breastmilk, and that was causing her slowed growth.

If you have no allergy issues (none at all, whole family), I guess
cheese would be OK (the notion scares me personally, but I have a
highly atopic family!). I think Kefir (I hope I'm spelling that
correctly, it's a dairy 'beverage', like a drinkable yogurt) is a
first food in some countries, maybe you could look into that.

Thanks as Always!
Chris.
(& and her 6 month old string bean

Good luck! It sounds like you've got a little roly-poly from my
perspective! Keep feeding him well!

Tina.