Old March 31st 05, 04:45 PM
shinypenny

Mandy Anderson wrote:
Why is it that some parents feel it is fine to
impose inconveniences on the whole of society to make up for their

laziness
in controlling their children?

You've hit a hot button for me. My children don't play in our street,
because it's far too dangerous due to inconsiderate drivers.

Why is it that some people feel it is fine to drive an SUV down narrow
city streets designed for much smaller cars? If you live in the city,
and park in the city, does it make any sense at all to buy an SUV?

Why is it that so many people feel it's a requirement to have more than
one or even two cars? Especially if they choose to live in an area that
was never designed for parking more than one car, and has ample public
transportation?

And why do they feel entitled to park their darn extra car on the
sidewalk? Or blocking pedestrian crossways? Forcing pedestrians to walk
into the street to get around them?

Why is it that we have all these miles of sidewalks, intended to keep
pedestrians from walking in the street, but so many people don't bother
to keep them shoveled?

Why is it that I must feel like I take my life in my hands when
crossing a street, because so many people disobey the "stop for
pedestrians in crosswalk" signs?

Why is it that so many people talk on their cell phones while driving?
Don't they realize that research has proven that folks talking on a
cell phone wouldn't even notice a gorilla walking in front of their
car?

Why is it that so many people abuse the posted speed limits?

Why is it that we tell people they should walk and bike ride more, yet
we don't put any city money into better sidewalks, bike paths, or bike
lanes? And even those streets that do have bike lanes, the lanes are
not consistent and/or cars insist on driving in them because they are
in too much of a hurry and use the lane as a passing lane?

And while I'm at it, why is it that you get a tax break for commuting
by car or public transportation, but no tax break if you walk or bike
to work?

I pay my taxes too. If I want to walk, bike, rollerblade, run in the
street, I will. Please be considerate and drive more carefully while
you share the road with me.

jen