Old September 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

Default prior to pregnancy -- any prep? (over 40, esp)

On Sep 10, 6:23 pm, Caledonia wrote:
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

I am in the process of doing this. I hadn't been to the dentist in 4
years and was afraid I had a cavity that would need attention -- xrays
wouldn't be possible while pregnant. I am going to see my doctor next
month because the last pap/physical I had while NOT pregnant was 4
years ago. My SIL is an optometrist and urged me to get my eyes
checked, since vision can change while pregnant (I think because of
blood pressure).

I don't think this is overkill, although your post might be triggered
by one of my posts where I announced I was doing this. I guess if I -
didn't- think I had a cavity (and had seen the dentist recently), I
wouldn't have bothered with the dentist. If I -had- had just a
routine pap in the last 4 years, I wouldn't be doing that. And if I -
hadn't- had so many back and sinus problems during my last pregnancy,
I wouldn't be concerned with seeing my doctor to check out my non-
pregnant self. And honestly, if I -hadn't- had a baby with an
arterial defect last time around, I probably wouldn't be so concerned
with any of this.

So, in a nutshell, it might be overkill for you. I didn't think it
was overkill for me, considering.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS 6-2-06