Old September 12th 07, 06:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Default prior to pregnancy -- any prep? (over 40, esp)

"Pologirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 10, 5:23 pm, Caledonia wrote:
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

Deferred maintenance usually isn't a good idea, regardless of whether
you plan to try for #3. Whatever needs to be taken care of, go out
and take care of it.

I'm kind of jealous that you're thiiiiinking about trying for child
#3. I kind of want another one but DH says he's done. I can see his
point. I don't like being pregnant, and I also find being a stay-at-
home mom very frustrating at times. But I adore my children and I
really, really enjoy tiny babies.

Hungry Girl is due to turn 1.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl

LOL! I swear, you've got to get out of my head, Pologirl.

We're sort of in a similar place -- I'd theoretically like a third, as I
really really like the tiny baby stage. Dh says he is done, plus we have
the added complication of the adoption factor, both in time, money and
uncertainty of when it might happen (I guess you have that too with your
infertility history). He really just does not want to go through the whole
process again, and feels like we can't possibly have an easy time of it a
third time. I love my girls, but there are definitely times where I'm
overwhelmed or frustrated or just dang not feeling it. I think I'd be nuts
to add a 3rd child to the mix! At the same time, both girls are now in
preschool at the same time, so I'm starting to do non-kid things, and
feeling slightly human again...and think I'd be nuts to want to lose that to
sleepless nights with a newborn! LOL!

I think for me, it's the toddler years that I find the hardest -- 12 months
through 2.5, give or take. And golly, if that isn't a really long time!
Both girls are now potty trained, we don't use sippy cups or need to take a
diaper bag anywhere, and they sleep in real beds both at home and on
vacation. Life is getting SOOOOO much easier!

At the same time, I'm pretty dang thrilled with the fact that I'm a mom to
two amazing beautiful girls, and while I sometimes fantasize about another
baby, mostly I don't, and don't think that I will have the deep painful
longing to add another child to my family that some people have. I already
experienced that waiting for #1, so everything after that has been gravy.
It's amazing what a little perspective will do for ya!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_Guest1, Password: