Old February 11th 04, 03:19 PM
Tine Andersen

Default upset at nanny -- vent

"Nina" skrev i en meddelelse
Here, a lot of us find that having 2 incomes doesnt help much. The 2nd
income is eaten
away by daycare, transportationa nd other costs. So its beneficial for
one person to stay home.
If one person provides money and one provides services, it may not be
equal or identical
but it is an equitable distribution of labor. Honestly, regarding
laziness, my husband could never afford
to pay someone for the services I render. If I were to work, my salary
wouldnt cover
child care
housework
laundry
etc.
Since we do have a small baby, i prefer to stay home and do these
things rather than work and pay someone for it.
With the number of kids we have, all the Drs appointments, school
meetings, housework etc, there really needs to be someone
home full time.

Things are very different. Daycare is 250-300$ per month. I make 3000$ after
taxes. I can take some hours off - with full pay - to go to the dentist,
doctor, what have you with the kids. When they are ill I can take one day
off - fully payed - and so can DH. When I'm on sick leave I'm payed my full
salary. We have maternaty leave for nearly a year - so I was a SAHM for 6
mos (it has become longer since my kids were born). As everyone works,
school metings are during the evenings - always. Distances are short - most
people can bike to work. This country has more bikes that people. We are
four people - we have (counting) six bikes. They come in all kinds: carrier
cycles, with two chairs for kids, with trailers for groceries and kids.

There is absolutely a difference between having one and two incomes here.

Tine, Denmark