Old June 26th 04, 11:00 PM
Kender

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Bra? You mean I only have 2 more years until they come on the scene. I had
no idea it was so close! Thanks for the heads up.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"shirley" wrote in message
Do you call your nose "nosie" or your foot "footie"? I don't see a
difference! All body parts have names and whether the children are 4 or

14
they need to know. "Cute" names for those body parts and not other parts
gives kids a feeling that these parts are different and should be
"snickered" about, not just a matter of fact, at least in my opinion and

in
the opinion of the sex educators at my middle school. My MIL (who is 90)
has always told her two kids the proper names and so do we. We don't make

big deal and I can tell you where this has lead to.

Kathleen is maturing, she wears a size A bra, has all body hair that needs
to be there, shaves and knows all about periods and sex. Her wonderful
question to me when we got to the big talk was why her friends couldn't

talk
about this stuff. When I told her some friends might not be developed yet
and their moms may feel uncomfortable about talking about sex to their
daughters her wise 9 year old answer was - gee mom, it's their daughters -
why would they be uncomfortable talking about anything to them!!!! What a
wonderful question from a 9 year old. Our experience for our children is
that the real terms work - no matter how old.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Ellen Kmetz" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need to teach 3 & 4 year-olds terms

like
"vulva" and "urethra". My boys call their penises their "winkies", they

know
that only boys have them, and we've had some very funny conversations

about who
has a winky and who doesn't. My daughter is 9 and now knows the correct

terms,
but when she was 4 she called it her "front butt" and "back butt". She

isn't
scarred for life or ashamed of her body just because at age four she

didn't
know to call it a "vagina" or "vulva". They're practically still

babies,
for
God's sake! It's CUTE when they call their privates by "pet names". So

when
they get old enough you tell them "this is what it's really called" and

that's
that. What is the big deal?? Let them be KIDS. JMO.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00