Old September 6th 07, 02:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate

Default pancreatic enzymes in colitis?

On Sep 5, 4:43 pm, (Beth Kevles) wrote:
Kate --

How long and how strictly has mom been on the elimination diet? Also,
does the baby have any symptoms other than the bloody stool, such as
rash, failure to thrive, etc.?

Hoping this resolves before you have to do further research,

She was on cow's milk elimination for one week and then a stricter
elimination diet for 1 week (dairy, soy, wheat, egg, nuts, citrus,
fish, and shellfish -- I think that was it). It's a somewhat more
challenging setting because she's low-income and non-English speaking,
so I tried to tell her about reading labels for things like casein and
albumin but it's harder to guage how well she can follow it. I
couldn't find any written materials available in Spanish, and some
more radical elimination diets are not going to be feasible in this
setting. She says she eats little processed food so that makes it
easier. The baby is gaining weight like a maniac and has no other
symptoms except perhaps fussiness (always hard to really know if it's
regular newborn crying or more than the norm).

I'm now realizing that a week might not have been quite enough time.
When they next come in for a well check I might suggest she try it
again for longer. As it stands I told mom to go ahead and eat what
she likes and keep breastfeeding, because it's quite mild and I think
the baby is better off pooping a few flecks of blood every couple of
days than stopping breastfeeding altogether.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old