Old April 27th 08, 12:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Default Raising boys

Areba wrote:
[...]
I have no idea about raising a boy. Is this a common apprehension, or am
I just thinking hot air and any apprehension I have now will disappear
the moment I see my son for the first time..if its a boy..

[...]
Its not something I am stressing over. I know that I will enjoy been a
mother to bits and give just as many hugs and kisses no matter what..
But the thoughts are there..niggling ones..

Anyone else felt anything similar?

I've read that it's really common for women to feel this way about the
prospect of having a boy - a feeling of "Oh, my goodness, what do I do
with a boy?" So you're certainly not alone.

I had the same feeling that I knew much more about girls, and I always
somehow expected to have a girl. So I was surprised when the scan in my
first pregnancy showed a boy. But I saw that as a positive thing.
Children don't turn out the way you've imagined they will - they grow
into their own little people who surprise you with who they turn out to
be. My feeling was that it was a good thing that the baby was a boy, so
that I could get used to that feeling of unexpectedness, of dealing with
the child I had rather than the child I imagined, right from the start. ;-)

BTW, one thing I would say (in general terms, not just with regard to
the whole boy vs. girl thing) is not to have any expectations about
anything amazing happening the moment you see your son for the first
time. People talk about this amazing surge of love that changes your
whole life, and for some women it is like that, but for other women that
feeling comes on later and more gradually. I know that when I first saw
my babies my feelings were more along the lines of "Bloody hell, a baby.
Great, does that mean that's over?" I was mostly just relieved to
have got through labour successfully. I really doubt that I love my
children now any less than a woman who fell in love with hers from the
start! So, don't expect that it's automatically going to be a Hallmark
or slushy novel moment - it may be, but it may not be, and it's fine
either way.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell