Old July 31st 08, 06:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elizabeth Johnson

Default Allergic to dressings

lu-lu wrote:

did need a plaster (don't know if you guys have that word over seas.... the
skin coloured adhesive with a little gauze pad in the middle). She's never
had one on before, and like me, it turned out she was allergic to it. It
came up in a red, slightly raised area, the shape of the plaster and the now
bigger cut was weepy and sore. We went to the pharmacist yesterday and
bought a mepore low-allergy dressing. Turns out she's even more allergic to
that! Her poor little arm is now blistered and sore, the cut looks awful and
she's crying because it's so sore...

I've just been out and bought a separate dressing and gauze bandage to
secure it to her arm. I've given her calpol (paracetamol) to help the pain,
and I've made a doctor's appointment later this evening as I think she needs
to take something for it... but I'm not sure what. anyone have any
experience on this? Does anyone's kids have similar allergies and if so what
do you use? a fullblown bandage everytime she gets a cut seems a bit
excessive.

Yes, my kids and I have had these problems with some, but not others.
With my worst reaction, my skin just seemed to dissolve. At our
doctor's it is standard procedure to put a band-aid on after a
vaccination. My children have "NO BAND-AID" marked on their files in
large letters, but I still have to remind them.

I buy the 3m brand paper skin tape and separate pads. I cut the pad to
size and tape it on. The 3m paper tape is the one that they have never
reacted to.

As my children have gotten older, they have become less sensitive and
can use some that they couldn't use when they were younger.

--Betsy