Old July 18th 03, 02:12 PM
K.B.

Default Baby Acne & Allergies

My son went through he same thing. It looked alot like eczema. I was very
upset because it looked so ugly. I had him at the allergist to test him for
a bunch of allergies. I was told he has a sensitivity to dairy and to put
Elidel cream on his rash. It helped a little but still didn't get better.
Then a Mom asked me to check if he had thrush. He did. The Dr. gave me
niastatin cream for the rash and stuff for his mouth. The rash cleared right
up. I was so happy. It was that simple I couldn't believe it. I still have
to stay away from dairy though.
I have a thing for cheese too. I eat alot of it and it's been hard for me to
eliminate it.
I also use dye and perfume free detergent but I don't think that makes a
difference. His skin has been nice since I used that cream and I stay away
from dairy.
Kris

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
Poor Caterpillar (7 weeks) is horribly broken out. She has
been for several weeks, and I suspect she will be for
several more weeks. My copy of Sears' The Baby Book says
that baby acne onsetting before 2 weeks and spreading into
the hair and down the neck can be a sign of allergy. Hers
didn't start early (nothing until 3 or 4 weeks), but it
covers her entire head and neck, and is headed down her back.

We're using unscented detergent and fabric softener, and
haven't noticed a relationship to unscented, hypoallergenic,
or regular baby wash. So if she's allergenic, I suspect
it's to something I'm eating. Fortunately, the prime
suspects would be dairy and wheat. Unfortunately, my
primary food source for the last 9 months has been cheese
sandwiches, so eliminating them will make me unhappy.

No other allergy symptoms - no diaper rash, excessive
spittiness, fussing, etc.

Does it make more sense to wait a few weeks and see if it
clears up on its own, or try messing with my diet?

Phoebe