Old October 10th 04, 03:13 PM
Naomi Pardue

I have ben debating what to dress her in. Would a onesie, layette nightgown
and a blanket be enough for mid-November in the Northeast? The temps could
be as low as 20 degrees. I don't want to overdress her as I am afraid of her
suffocating in the car seat. I have a bunting, but even though it says
newborn, it seems a bit large.

First of all, I'm not sure how she would suffocate in her car seat, nomatter
HOW heavily you dressed her, unless the clothing included things that covered
her face.
Second, how large the bunting is in comparison to the baby depends, surely, how
how large the baby turns out to be. It may be a bit large for her, or it may be
a perfect fit, or too small. In any case, unless it's so large/thick that it
keeps the carseat straps from fitting snugly, this really isn't a problem.
(Well, too small would be a problem, but not too large.)

Third, it would depend somewhat, surely, on your situation. How long is the
journey home? WIll you be carrying her across a large open parking lot or
several blocks to the bus stop -- or taking her from heated hospital into
heated (or at least well sheltered) parking garage into heated car into heated
garage into heated house?

Third, why not wait until you see what the weather is like. YOu don't say how
long you expect to be in the hospital, but unless it's an unually brief stay,
you can have DH or some other helper bring appropriate clothes from home. If
it's fairly warm, a onesie, nightie and blanket (which goes OVER the carseat
straps once you get her in the car) should be ample (Plus maybe a hat as
well.) If it's very cold, she'll need more.

Thanks in advance-
Erin, edd #1 11-12

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator