Old January 6th 04, 03:28 PM
Sue

Default worried about the future

Well this is the part of parenting that you really need to build up your
backbone. You are the mom and you get to decide when you do what with your
child. I can't fathom being worried about what my family thought about my
children's feeding habits and what I fed them. They are supposed to be
family and should be supportive of whatever you decide when it comes to
their grandchildren. They should be happy that you are giving their grandson
the best start in life. If they are not, then that's when you say I know
what is the best interest of my son and this is how it is going to be.

I understand extended family wanting time with your son. IMO, I see nothing
wrong with having my children have so many people that love them and that
they love back. I can't imagine not letting my mom, when she was alive, not
have time with her grandchildren. Many on this board see that as a huge
problem, but I don't. I think it is. I feel it is insecurity that no one can
care for the child as well as the mom and they are too insecure to find out.
Just keep repeating to yourself that you ultimately have the last decision.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Anne Rogers wrote in message
Before ds was born I intended to nurse him through the first year, it
hadn't occured to me that longer might be good. Now I'm better educated,
it's best for him to carry on longer and I intend to let him self wean.
The problem is my mum and my friends, they all think I am nuts, they
already think I am a bit mad pumping for his feeds whilst I work, but the
very thought of me breastfeeding a toddler shocks them. My mum in
particular drops it into every possible conversation that I should give up
by the time he is a year old, she wants ds to be able to stay with them
without me there, when I said this probably wouldn't be possible because
of feeding she said that it would be a good time to stop and he wouldn't
mind. It's really starting to worry me as we get closer to that point,
recently the doctor even asked me when I was going to stop. I love
breastfeeding, my son loves breastfeeding, so why stop is my opinion. It
upsets me that people think it is wrong for me to try and do what is best
for my son. When I say the WHO say you should breastfeed for 2 years,
people say that doesn't matter as we have good water here.

Anne Rogers