Old October 19th 06, 08:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default She's here!

I call a cesarean that is required IMMEDIATELY because the life of mom
and baby are in immediate danger (cord prolapse, placenta abruptia,
uterine rupture - the catastrophic occurances) as an emergency
cesarean. there is an emergency occuring right now.

I call a cesarean that occurs in labor due to failure to progress,
undiagnosed breech, suspected fetal distress (those things in which
they discuss the options and proceed with a surgical delivery) as
unscheduled cesareans.

however, if the breech position is discovered at full dilation and you're
being cared for by a doctor who doesn't believe breeches should be allowed
out vaginally, then it is an emergency, because that baby will come out
vaginally fairly soon, sounds like Kasia wasn't given a choice of you can
carry on and see what happens, there is x risk to the baby, or we can go to
theatre, sounds like it was a case of we're going to theatre NOW exactly has
in the cases you describe above, we both know that it isn't the same
emergency, but large numbers of doctors and incompetent at vaginal breech
birth, believing they need to intervene and that's when problems occur, so
to a doctor, a breech presentation at full dilation is a life threatening
emergency to the baby.

Cheers

Anne