Old March 26th 04, 04:06 PM
P. Tierney

Default Slightly OT - leaving 5 mo old for a day

"Kari" wrote in message
My 8 yr old has a dance competition on the 3rd of April. Up until tonight

was planning on it being a 2 day affair but I just found out that her team
only performs one of those days. We'd have to leave by 6am to get to the
site by 9am and she has to stay until the awards ceremony that night,
scheduled for around 8pm.

The thought of taking my 5 month old along makes me cringe. It's a 3 hour
trip first of all and he doesn't really like being in the car. Also with

no
where to nap aside from my arms, trying to nurse him in a setting which I
know might be very difficult. It's not really a place for an infant.

He will not take a bottle so that is out of the question. I have started

him
on cereal (he'll be 6 mos on the 1st) and he's taking a cup of ebm and

water
but for the most part, he still eats every 3 hours.

So, do I take him? Do I leave him for the day with my parents - who will

be
up anyway because we were planning on the 2 day affair and they are going

be watching my middle son. OR do I stay home with the boys and let my mom

go
in my place? Kaylie needs a woman along to help her in the dressing room,
with her makeup and she doesn't want another of the dance mom's to help

her
(I asked)

My daughter doesn't care if I miss it. I dont want to miss it really, but

dont know if Xander would be ok for over 12 hours with no momma. He

doesn't
drink well enough from a cup yet for it to be near enough for the day.

Plus,
he will not settle down for naps or bedtime without his nursies. My mom
would have a very hard time keeping him I think.

So, what would you guys do? I need to decide soon, like tonight.

I wouldn't go if you think it would be too much trouble.
OTOH, I think it might easily be more manageable than you
think. It depends on the temperament of the child. But if you
think that there will be problems, then stay home, and consider
yourself lucky that you have such an understanding daughter
(though who will do her makeup if you don't go?). Still, I bet
it will end up being a lot easier than you think.

I posted similar questions when my child was younger
and I worried about trips, air or car. The advice was always to
go anyway. I always did and never regretted it.

P.
Tierney