Old May 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Circe

Default frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, but need help!)

zolw wrote:
A month later
was our next appointment, he acted like we hadn't met after we had
the ultrasound. He asked me if we already know the gender of the
baby (I was annoyed, but tried to convince myself that I am not the
only atient he has & that it might have sliped his mind. Realy all
it would have taken is to write it down on a piece of paper in my
file)

I wouldn't expect a doctor who probably has tens of pregnant patients at any
given time to remember the gender of my baby, especially if I'd only told
him/her myself (i.e., he had not reported the information to me). Nor would
I consider that a medically important fact that should be noted in my file.

Anyways, every single visit, we go there he puts that thing on my
belly & we listen to the heartbeat. That is all he does. Then he
asks me if I have any questions and off I go. Sorry, but this is
not enough for me, I want more interaction and more attention
(especially that this is my first child. Everything freaks me out
and I am clueless most of the time).

Okay, sorry to tell you but, aside from the urine sample testing (which some
doctors may not start until later in the second trimester) and taking your
BP (both of which would normally be done by the nurse), that's about all
there is *to* do during a regular obstetrical appointment. A normal
obstetrical appointment is expected to take about 15 minutes, at the most.
If *you* are freaked out and feel clueless, your opening to get more
interaction and attention is to ask questions when he asks if you have any.
If you don't and he lets you go, you can't blame *him*: he probably thinks
he's meeting your needs if you don't let him know otherwise.

Now, that said, people generally find that midwives provide a more
supportive, attentive environment and schedule more time for their patients
so there is less a sense on the part of the patient of being rushed through.
I found my midwives also brought up issues and concerns with me in a way
that my previous OB never did. So you might be happier, from this POV, in a
midwifery practice than an obstetrical practice.

But honestly, I don't see anything patently wrong with the care you're
receiving. It sounds very normal and typical to me.

Anyway, I had my glucose test and it also came back negative. I
realize that so far, I don't seem to be a high risk patient (my
sister wasn't a high risk patient, until she lost a child in her
9th month, so that is already freaking me out).

This is something that I would bring up with my care provider. He needs to
know that you are concerned and understand why. Your fear really isn't
rational to the extent that late term fetal loss is both rare and usually
due to circumstances that rarely repeat, but it's perfectly understandable
that you'd be worried.

Last visit, he told me that now I will start to visit him every 2
weeks. I asked him when my next ultrasound is gonna be (I thought
one should have another ultrasound in the 3rd trimester), he said
that therewasn't gonna be another one.

The "standard of care" is to perform one ultrasound at around mid-pregnancy.
If you've already had that are there are no indications of trouble, there is
no reason to have any more. Even routine midpregnancy ultrasound is
ineffective in terms of providing better outcomes--the truth is, it doesn't
make any statistical difference. Given this, ultrasounds are really little
more than expensive baby pictures and doctors generally have to justify any
ultrasound beyond the standard mid-pregnancy one to insurers to have them
paid for.

Now I am left to wonder is this all normal? I mean, the baby's
heartbeat is fine and all, but doesn't he need to check if maybe
baby is too small or too large?

Absolutely, positively NO. Third trimester ultrasound is woefully inaccurate
at predicting fetal size (it can be off by as much as a pound in either
direction) and your fundal height measurement is a strong predictor if there
are growth problems or amniotic fluid issues.

Am I just being sensitive about all that?

Yes, although it's perfectly understandable.

What kind of tests did other people have during their 3rd trimester?

First pregnancy, I had an ultrasound around 33 weeks because my fundal
height had gone down between appointments. It was just because the baby had
dropped. Otherwise, nothing except the GTT around 28 weeks and the GBS test
around 33-34 weeks (both of these are pretty standard, one-time things). Oh,
and I had a non-stress test the day before my labor was induced.

Second pregnancy, no problems, no tests other than GTT/GBS.

Third pregnancy, I didn't gain fundal height for four weeks, so was referred
for an u/s to rule out intrauterine growth restriction. Baby was perfectly
normal. I also developed high BP around 35 weeks, and then had to go in
twice a week for BP measurement and both a non-stress test and an u/s to
measure my amniotic fluid index. Big pain in the butt that I could have done
without.

All in all, the best pregnancy was the one with the fewest tests!

Sorry for the long message, but this is not even enough to satisfy
my frustration.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, Mona. Honestly, though, it sounds to me like
your expectations aren't being met primarily because your expectations
aren't realistic, at least as far as tests go. OTOH, I think you'd be
overall happier if you were seeing a midwife for routine prenatal care
because you'd get more of the attention and support that is what I think
you're *really* missing.

Good luck and hope this helps in some way!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."