Old December 2nd 05, 05:10 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default Paddle by proxy

Opinions wrote:
LaVonne must have had a miserable childhood. She comes off as an
extremely rigid person spouting the party line of the educational
establishment as if were a religious catechism for which no alternative
exists. She has the online persona of a drill sergeant.

Your assessment is a wonder of depth and perception.

More interestingly, she never takes the time to offer complete
explanations.

It's all been done here before, by her and others. Cats can be skinned
in a finite number of ways.

LaVonne's apparent style of teaching is known in higher
academic circles as the *hide the salami* method.

You mean challenge the student to do their own learning with resources
at their disposal? We used to call that "lab."

Consistent with many
absolutely rotten instructors, her contributions to this newsgroup
suggest that she is high on expectations and low in support.

But you never really indicated how much you needed handholding. I
presume that, like myself, when the student presents as sufficiently
limited eventually, she too stops leading in recognition that providing
crutches does not help the terminally dysfunctional.

I cannot help but wonder how long LaVonne would actually survive in
public schools teaching remedial reading or basic grammar construction
to children of color in the Mississippi Delta or to sons of the Lakota
in the *school-to-prison pipeline* of Winner, South Dakota.

You have no idea how very funny that is in context of LaVonne's actual
history. But then, that's private.

How would
her formal evaluations by school principals in those districts actually
read in light of authenticated student achievement?

Outstanding to Brilliant, most likely. That's why see is a successful
college instructor of....guess who?

Sadly, for America's children, LaVonne's level of rigidity has invited
interventions that range from No Child Left Behind mandated testing to
the Junkyard Prophet band's *dog and pony* show.

I've no idea if she has support NCLB, but I'm going to take a wild
guess and presume that she knows that testing an in infintesimal part
of evaluting a students understanding and learning of a subject. I know
the teachers in my family don't care for testing only as measures of
academic acheivement.

It appears that sans any lucid and fact based argument you have
devolved into using the same tactics of blathering argument on the
issue to attacking the person.

Lying about one is no more credible than about the other.

And everyone's got an opinion.

You a pretty good teacher yourself, are yah?

0:-

Doan wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Carlson LaVonne wrote:

The bright ones know how children best learn, grow, and develop. They
are able to choose guidance and discipline strategies that are
compatible with this knowledge. The less than bright ones use the
simplistic and damaging method of hitting children in the name of
discipline because they do not employ more complex thinking that would
result in appropriate and effective discipline practices that address
both long and short term goals for children.

How about your parents, Lavonne? Are you saying that they were "less than
bright"? ;-)

Doan