Old December 5th 07, 11:13 AM posted to misc.kids
Sue

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

IMO, good quality childcare is not going to harm a child. It's not like no
one else beside the mother should ever take care of the child. Children
thrive on other relationships in their lives. It really is a good thing for
children to have other trusting adults in their lives. They learn how to get
along with others. Children in good quality care are usually ahead of those
who stay home with no preschool or nothing. No study, I don't care who wrote
it, good or bad is going to tell you what is going to happen to your child,
only you can tell whether your child will thrive in the situation or not.
And if your gut tells you something is not right, then change it. It really
is none of your relatives business how you raise your child. And honestly,
it doesn't matter if you need to work or not, there is nothing wrong with a
mom having a career and enjoying it. I can't stand those people who try to
make working mothers feel guilty and the ones that stay at home is more
superior. It's not, it truly depends on the situation and family. Do what
you need to do and don't feel guilty about it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
I was all excited to get a spot at our neighbourhood daycare centre
for my 22-month old, who has been at home until now, but a naysayer
relative has made me wonder if I'm hurting my daughter more than doing
her good by putting her in daycare at this age, in winter, no less.

I know my daughter will benefit tremendously from being around other
children in a structured educational setting. She will be in a group
of 9 children, who are looked after by 2 teachers and one part-time
assistant.

I work full-time from home, and have a 9-month old here as well. He
will stay with me until he gets a spot at the daycare at 12 months.

The relative (whose neck I would love to wring right now) insists a
child should be kept at home until age 3.

I am doing this because I need to keep my job. Until now I had help
from my mother, but she leaves in a few days, after having been with
us for six months. Already a huge luxury!

What I'd love is to hear some positive stories, and if there's any
scientific backing to my relative's claims.