Old December 5th 07, 03:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

In article ,
Beliavsky says...

On Dec 5, 3:55 am, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:38 pm, Banty wrote:

Do wring said relative's neck.

Yes, dissent from progressive orthodoxy must be silenced! Research on
problems with day care should be ignored!

I think the issue is not so much that people of a different opinion
should be silenced or ignored, as that they should have the tact not to
start telling someone that they *should* do things *this* way when they
don't know the whole story of the individual in question or why that
individual might be in a situation that means that that isn't a good option.

That standard should apply both to people who tell the OP to send to
her daughter to day care and to those who advise against it. But a
blanket statement "Your daughter will do just fine", made by someone
who knows neither the child or the day care center, raises no hackles,
except from me. My questioning such a blanket statement, without
telling what the OP what she should do, does upset people.

Sarah answered this pretty well, and I point out that her question was about
whether or not she should wait until her child is three years old, and I've seen
nothing yet that would back up the relative's assertion.

Just like TV, or leaving kids with grandma, there are times are reasons where
it's a parent sloughing off responsibility with daycare, and time where it's
not. We do have a bias, but it's not so much pro-or anti-daycare ("YMMV" is our
motto), is a bias that the people posting here are considering carefully their
decisions.

I've only checked one of your references below (no time), but I see it again
cites the same single study, and Ericka is right that this study, if anything,
sees differences in the margins - as with anything some parents will not care.
On the other hand, for many of these children, daycare is a *refuge* from what
they would otherwise have at home.

There is a
double standard when it comes to discussing the merits of day care,
both in this group and the media in general.

But didn't *you* ballyhoo that it's that bastion of East Coast 'liberals', the
NY Times, that you first cited for an article describing the study??

Some articles and books
discussing bias in the latter are

Fear and Loathing at the Day-Care Center
Kay S. Hymowitz
City Journal, Summer 2001
http://www.city-journal.org/html/11_..._loathing.html

Media, Academia Ignore Day Care's Downsides
By Sean Grindlay
November 7, 2003
http://www.aim.org/briefing/A103_0_5_0_C/

Which is the one I looked at (I'm not very happy to be told to go read a whole
book, it being impractical, and authorship of a book not being a qualification
in my mind).

Again, the same one study, and lots of talk of "having it all". Having it
all, apparently, meaning working and raising children too. So I searched on
that term which describes those who have "had it all" for some decades, and
found only two matches in the entire article:

fathers

While there are over thirty matches for those who are described as unrealistic
for wanting to "have it all":

mothers

THAT, is bias.

Banty