Old July 10th 03, 06:41 PM
KC

Default Easier?!?

I think you're dealing with the second issue of giving up, but if we
are just talking about which is easier, then dealing with supply
issues is not easier than formula feeding - trust me on this as I have
fed bottles of formula and I have bf and I have pumped. When supply
is low, the easiest way to get enough food into the kid is to ff.
That is not to say that it is the best way, or that I have given up on
bf, just that in that case ff is easier. I did give up on bf with my
first because I had supply issues and I had to go back to work and I
didn't know all the things about building supply like I do now, and I
didn't give up with my second because I didn't need to go back to
work. Because of my past experience I do have empathy for people who
can't make it work and end up finding formula easier. I do agree that
there are probably alot of people who don't give it a good try before
giving up.

KC

"CY" wrote in message news:kb8Pa.656$Bp2.157@fed1read07...
Don't even get me started on that question. It's all perception. I find
that generally (though not ALWAYS) people who have *supply issues* or *poor
latch* continue to have these problems because they don't seek proper help.
Many people rely on laymen to resolve these issues and don't want to pay for
the services of an IBCLC, or mistakenly believe that they cannot afford it
(compare the cost of an hour with a IBCLC to a month's worth of formula,
more doctors visits, time off work to care for sicklier kids etc etc etc).
Or, when the LC says "rent a pump" or "take this herb" or "pump every two
hours till your supply improves" or whatever, THEN they think FF is easier.
And yes then there's the fact that you can hand the baby off to someone else
to give a bottle. Some people who are not committed to bf have the attitude
that if it's not easy, it's not worth it and while there are truly some
mamas out there who have genuine problems and have given it ALL they have,
they are few and far between. Most just feel that for whatever reason it's
"just not worth it". It makes me sad that their babies aren't worth it. I
see this a LOT in my job (and I also see the poor mama's that come in,
desperate to feed their babies and work with the IBCLC's for WEEKS and they
are SO incredibly happy when (in the majority of cases) they make it. A
good IBCLC can make all the difference. That's just my two cents.

Didn't realize I was such a lactivist till I came here!!

CY
"E" wrote in message
lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and don't

do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith