Old December 3rd 03, 11:09 PM
HollyLewis

Default We may be almost done...toddler weaning

Fortunately, I've been explaining over the last month or so that now
that he doesn't drink as much mommy milk, mommy's body isn't making as
much, so it's a lot harder for him to get the mommy milk. (I'm trying
really, really hard not to connect it to me being pg, even though
that's part of the reason, so he won't resent the baby.)

You know, I've been wondering about that! I'd like to tell my DS the truth
about the pregnancy changing the milk but the resentment thing makes it sort of
sticky, doesn't it? (Anyone else want to tell us how you handled it?)

Fortunately, my DS doesn't seem to have noticed any dropoff yet, or at least
hasn't commented on it, though he's tending to nurse for shorter periods of
time, and is a lot easier to put off than he used to be. And of course, I'm
not as far along as you; who knows what will happen in the next few months.

I think over the next week or two, we're going to see if he keeps on
trying. While I'm open to tandemming, it also seems like a golden
opportunity to wean without drama right now, so I'm kind of playing it
by ear. I know that no matter what, we've had a wonderful nursing
relationship, so it's very bittersweet to see the end coming. :-(
But, if this is how it ends, I'm very happy that he seems to be
accepting snuggles and fridge milk as substitutes (depending on
whether it was comfort or food he wanted). :-)

Sounds like the right attitude to me. :-) It wouldn't break my heart if DS
weaned mid-preg -- he'll turn 3 in less than two months -- but I'm not holding
my breath, since he's pretty attached to it as part of his bedtime routine.
And it also wouldn't bother me to wind up tandem nursing, just because, well,
having come this far, why not go through the *full* range of breastfeeding
experience? ;-) Living in the liberal Bay Area, I don't get too many
opportunities to be an in-your-face lactivist! Plus, of course, "everyone"
says that tandemning reduces baby-resentment and such sibling problems -- and
we're going to have enough to deal with trying to change DS' sleeping habits
somehow or other, since there isn't enough room in Mommy & Daddy's bed for
four, and not enough floor space in our house for a bigger bed!

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
EDD #2 6/8/04