Old December 9th 03, 08:16 PM
Fer

Default Girl needs a name

|| Hi, I have a french friend who's currently 8 months pregnant and
|| expecting a daughter. Her husband is from Argentina and they are
|| performing the difficult task of finding her a first name. They are
|| quite open, calling for example they first son Atahualpa who was the
|| name of the last Inca emperor (was I told). My purpose is to help
|| them finding a name by looking for the maximum translations of the
|| words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic language where it sounds good.
|| I mean by exotic any that is not spoken here, and there are tons of
|| them as you can see... On the other hand, if you have another idea
|| related to those word, keeping the spirit and sounding good, don't
|| hesitate to give it. I thank you in advance for any suggestion
|| provided. You can answer in this forum or directly by email. I'll
|| give this thread a feedback of the best answers and... the final
|| choice. Thanks for your attention.

Here are some ideas...........

MOON:

AYGÜL f Turkish
Means "moon rose" in Turkish.
AYSEL f Turkish
Means "like the moon" in Turkish.
AYSUN f Turkish
Means "as beautiful as the moon" in Turkish.
BADR m,f Arabic
Means "full moon" in Arabic.
CHANDRA f,m Indian, Hindu Mythology
Means "moon" in Sanskrit.
KAMARIA f African
Means "like the moon" in Swahili.
LUCINE f Armenian
Means "moon" in Armenian.
NGUYET f Vietnamese
Means "moon" in Vietnamese.
NURAY f Turkish
Means "bright moon" in Turkish.
POORNIMA f Indian
Means "full moon" in Sanskrit.
SELENE f Greek Mythology, Greek, English
Pronounced: se-LEE-nee
Means "moon" in Greek.
ARANRHOD f Welsh, Welsh Mythology
Possibly means "huge wheel" or "round wheel" in Welsh. In Welsh myth
Aranrhod was the mother of the twin brothers Dylan and Lleu Llaw Gyffes. In
earlier myths she was a goddess of the moon.
ARTEMIS f Greek Mythology
Pronounced: AR-te-mis
Artemis was the Greek goddess of the moon and hunting, the twin of Apollo
and the daughter of Zeus and Leto. She was known as Diana to the Romans.

LIFE:

ENID f Welsh, Welsh Mythology
Derived from Welsh enaid meaning "soul" or "life". She was the wife of
Geraint in Arthurian legend.
ESHE f African
Means "life" in Swahili.
LIV f Scandinavian
Derived from Old Norse hlif meaning "protection". Its use has been
influenced by the modern Scandinavian word liv meaning "life".
ZENOBIA f Ancient Greek
Pronounced: ze-NO-bee-a
Means "life of Zeus", derived from Greek Zeno, a prefix form of the name of
ZEUS, combined with bios "life". This was the name of a 3rd-century queen of
Palmyra. After claiming the title 'Queen of the East' and expanding her
realm into Roman territory she was defeated by emperor Aurelian.
ZOË f English, Greek, Polish
Pronounced: ZO-ee
Means "life" in Greek. This was the name of two early saints, one martyred
under emperor Hadrian, the other martyred under Diocletian. The name was
also borne by a ruling Byzantine empress.

HTH!

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92